Monday, November 5, 2018

Don't miss the election

I revisited the ol' blog back in July and found this forgotten draft from before the election:

"When the election has ended, one candidate will come out victorious. But that doesn't mean their supporters or detractor will dissapear. Friends, neighbors, and strangers will still be there. Ways of thinking will still be there. Those core beliefs and issues will still need to be met, challenged, debated and considered. Our work won't end on November 8th, it should be just beginning."

At the time, I was confident of a Hilary Clinton win, and anxious to leave the sideshow of the election in the past. Opinion pieces were saying that they were ready for the election to be over so that there could be some sort of return to normalcy. Reading these old op-eds are a strange sort of time travel, and living history lessons. I hope I can learn from that past.

I was sitting in a GRE math prep class the day of the election. One kids mentioned he was winning Florida, and then more chimed in with updates, and I just started crying and had to leave. I sat at home alone, and put my wasted "I Voted" sticker on a framed print in my living room.


It's still there. It was supposed to serve as a reminder not to be complacent, but it hasn't really worked. We have a chance tomorrow to do something about it. Let's try.

No comments:

Post a Comment