Saturday, April 30, 2016

Saturday Verse: "what they did yesterday afternoon" - Warsan Shire

WHAT THEY DID YESTERDAY AFTERNOON 
 
they set my aunts house on fire  
i cried the way women on tv do
folding at the middle
like a five pound note.
i called the boy who use to love me
tried to 'okay' my voice
i said hello
he said warsan, what's wrong, what's happened? 
i've been praying,
and these are what my prayers look like;
dear god
i come from two countries
one is thirsty
the other is on fire
both need water. 
later that night
i held an atlas in my lap
ran my fingers across the whole world
and whispered
where does it hurt? 
it answered
everywhere
everywhere
everywhere.

                                              - Warsan Shire


Read more about Warsan Shire here.

No comments:

Post a Comment