Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back to BYU Mix Cerca January 2010

It is almost 11 months since I got back from Bolivia. 11 months is the time I spent in Peru. 11 x 2 = 22, the number of tracks on this mix. 22 is the age I was when I got back from my mission. It was the year 2009. 2 + 0 + 0 + 9 = 11. Thank you to the tv show LOST for giving me a "Beautiful Mind". ANYWAY. I bet that you were wondering how I have been dealing with the awkward post-mission life. When I started up at school again last winter, instead of going to a therapist, I created a mix to deal with my emotions. SUCCESS!

Since it is back to school time again, I thought I would share with you the mix that allowed me to get through it all.

Imagine yourself: You've been back from your LDS mission for 2 months, eager to once again attend the Lord's university (track 1). Enthusiasm changes to confusion once you realize that you are completely different from the person you were the last time you were at BYU (track 2). Confusion turns to fear as you find that you have lost your missionary super powers... We’re just a million little god’s causin rain storms turnin’ every good thing to rust. I guess we’ll just have to adjust(track 3). You resort to living in your fallen state, and hope that nobody is watching (track 4). At times, you try to go back to the way you were, but it is "hard to find" (track 5). After not being at school for 2 years, you feel DUM (track 6). As you plan out your life, you realize that you're not going to graduate from school till December of 2011 (track 7). This song is dating at BYU in a nutshell(track 8). Why did you ache for home while on the mission, then ache for the mission once you were at home? (track 9). A ghost of yourself (track 10). Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel (track 11)? Radiohead teaches the repentance process (track 12). Pondering it in your mind (track 13).

and THEN!

Hey! It's actually not that bad around here (track 14)! Just hold on with a positive attitude (track 15)! You find out you can be yourself AND be a BYU student (track 16)! ROOMMATE DANCE PARTY!!!!!!!(track 17)!!!!!!! ANOTHER ROOMMATE DANCE PARTY!!!!!(track 18)!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!(track 19)!!!!!! You can look at your old mission photos without "lagrimaring" (track 20)! You belong (track 21), and you're going to be ok (track 22).

Wasn't that a nice story?

1. I'm a Mormon - Janeen Brady
2. Not The Same - Ben Folds Five
3. Wake Up - Arcade Fire
4. Don't Look Now - Sondre Lerche
5. The High Road - Broken Bells
6. Measuring Cups - Andrew Bird
7. Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Belle & Sebastian
8. Dominos - The Big Pink
9. Revelry - Kings Of Leon
10. Don't Haunt This Place - The Rural Alberta Advantage
11. Lightness (Daytrotter Session) - Peter & The Wolf
12. Let Down - Radiohead
13. Horn - Nick Drake
14. Getting Better - The Beatles
15. Get Happy - Judy Garland
16. Impossible Rebel - Dean Gray
17. All The Pretty Girls - fun.
18. D.A.N.C.E. - Justice
19. Now We Can See - The Thermals
20. Like Castanets - Bishop Allen
21. Pretty Girl From San Diego - The Avett Brothers
22. Clouds Will Pass - Julian Berntzen

No comments:

Post a Comment