Monday, July 9, 2012

Interdependence Day

I didn't do anything I thought I was going to on the 4th of July. Instead of going to the parade, the Freedom Fest and the BYU soccer game, I just sat at home and watched Prison Break on Netflix. oops. It's pretty addicting. Nothing like watching a show about the wrongfully incarcerated to celebrate our nation's freedom.


I admire him, cause he's like, a REALLY talented actor.

My dad got last minute tickets to Stadium of Fire. Usually that sort of thing isn't my cup of tea...
BUT
The Beach Boys were playing. And they are wonderful. Here's a little bit of the beginning: 




And when they played "God Only Knows"...
man...
I'm just glad it was dark so people didn't notice the tears of joy streaming down my face. It really is one of the greatest songs, ever. I get verklempt just thinking about it.

ANYWAY

You would think that over 200 years after the revolutionary war, we would have sorted out our issues with independence, sovereignty and balancing the need of the individual with the need of the society. This line of thinking may be too simplistic, but I think that most of the political or social disagreements have to do with this issue. I really liked this old article from the Ensign. It talks about how interdependence is necessary for good families and marriages.

This has been one fo the hardest principles for me to  live. But I think it's one of the most important.  It not only applies to our personal lives, but to the way our church, government, and society functions. Living interdependently instead or either extreme (totally independent or totally dependent) will help us have healthier relationships, create a better government, and lead  to overall happier lives.

What do you guys think?

I'm usually a bit too independent for my own good. Need to work on that. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you have become addicted to Prison Break. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete