Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday


Genesis 3:19 "...for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return"

I've been particularly interested in the story behind Lent. The marks of ash on people's heads serves to remind them of their own mortality, and encourage humility. Remembering mortality can feel like a burden. But it should also remind us that this life is a brief moment that we should live as best we can. I love these chances for renewal during the year. Things are alright, but 2014 has been a pretty emotionally and spiritually difficult year for me so far. I'm glad for a chance to start over. It's also my one month anniversary of being 27 (do you ever think of your birthdays like that?) and I really need to get my butt into gear.

I had contemplated going vegan for Lent, since it is more in line with Christian tradition. But I don't think I've adequately honed my cooking skills to undertake that challenge without dying. So it's all whole foods, and no white sugar for me. I probably wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for losing Diet Coke and gum... but I guess I'll make it work!

That's what I like about Lent. with New Years resolutions, people are usually promising to make a change that will LAST THEIR WHOLE LIFE.
But we all know that's all a lie.
With Lent, I can be both committed, and honest. Sure, it would be great if I kept all these resolutions for the rest of my life, but it's better to be realistic. After 40 days, I can return to may lazy, aspartame guzzling and sugar eating ways.

But more than a health resolution, Lent is a time for prayer, fasting, and repentance. That is what is most important to keep in mind.





No comments:

Post a Comment