Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Music for your Midweek: Gospel Spirituals

I saw Selma a couple weeks ago (it was great) And I've been on a music kick from that era ever since. Starred all the songs from the movie on Spotify. Read all the NPR articles about how the soundtrack was put together. Looked up biographies on most of the artists featured (esp. Mahalia Jackson. Such a cool lady). On Sunday, I walked to Temple Square to see Music and the Spoken Word listen to a selection of songs were for MLK day. All old gospel spirituals in his honor. After the broadcast, I started combing through This May Be My Last Time Singing compilation on Spotify. One thing led to another, and I soon spent hours watching live performance of these tunes. And now y'all get to benefit from my hours of time wastin'. Hope you like it:

Blind Boys of Alabama - 
They have a million videos on Youtube. You should check them all out.



The Soul Stirrers - 
Don't you love his voice? That is true emotion




Sister Rosetta Tharpe - 
Nobody has more soul. I want to be her. 
AND THAT GUITAR SOLO <3 div="">


The Davis Sisters - 
I just imagine these ladies to be any regular seeming women 
walking down the street. And then they sing and it's a whole other world. 
So much talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment