Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dance Yourself Clean

My time at Brigham Young University is swiftly coming to a close. One semester after this, I will be a free women. I entered to learn, and soon,  I will "go forth to serve "(or "earn" as Ingrid's father has often told me). Even though I have been part of BYU in some form or another for the past 5 years of my life, I am saddened to report that I am not a true "Cougar".

I've never been tunnel singing.
I don't have an all-sports pass.
I haven't even hiked the Y.

None of these girls are me... bless their hearts.

It would be a shame to let me time here in the bubble just pass me by without experiencing some of the eccentricities that personify the BYU.
So.

I enrolled in Dance 180: Beginning Social Dance

adorable

Essentially, this class is a compilation of things that are difficult for me to deal with. You have to be in close proximity with unfamiliar man-boys. You have to be courteous and gracious and polite. Worst of all, you must engage in the art of small talk. gross. I knew I was in for a fun time when the first guy I danced with asked me what color my toothbrush was. Really. And he wasn't being funny.

But most of all, social dance requires certain amount of bravery. You have to own up to the fact that you are going to look silly, at least at first. Everyone needs to practice being confident once and a while, especially me.

This class has required a lot more dedication and is more difficult than I had anticipated. Luckily, one of my room mates is minoring in dance, so I've been able to practice with him a bit. Very kind of him, I am a difficult partner (his toes get stepped on quite a bit). So far I've learned the foxtrot, cha-cha, and the waltz is a work in progress.

Thursday, I was formally introduced to "Dance Lab". I think all students taking a dance class have to go. I didn't know what to expect, there were so many people! Actually dancing was kind of hard. Everyone ran into each other cause it was so crowded. Then they had floor shows where more advanced dance classes would perform actual routines that they learned. My dance teacher did a polka to "Supercalafragilisticexpedalidocious". So charming.

Actually, if you know how to dance well, it can look pretty cool. I was officially won over by the social dance scene when they did the Viennese waltz to the Harry Potter theme song.


It was as awesome as it sounds.

So thanks BYU. Thank you for offering your students a venue where awkward gals and guys can turn into coordinated young men and women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment