Thursday, October 13, 2011

October Mix - covers edition: Dress-up


A couple weeks ago, I was sorta sick. So much so, that I could not sleep. So I stayed up till 4 in the morning, on this website, finding all sorts of cool covers. My loss of sleep is your gain...in...music? Something like that. So this mix is called "Dress-up" because these bands are "dressing-up" with other peoples songs, get it? haha.

P.S. I will be putting out ANOTHER mix 'speshly for Halloween! Lucky you!
P.P.S I washed my hair with shampoo for the first time after a week! Lucky me!
It was grand. I had been using baking soda in lieu of shampoo so that I could stop global warming. It gave me excellent volume, but my hair ended up feeling like I had sprayed it all over with that cheap hair coloring stuff they use at football games. Ew.

Listen to these songs, I guess.

1. Mansard Roof (Vampire Weekend cover) - Jeff Pianki
2. Deep Blue (Arcade Fire cover) - Lenka
3. I've Got To Be Clean (Sesame Street cover) - Guster
4. Animal (Miike Snow cover) - Edward Deer
5. Four Winds (Bright Eyes cover) - The Killers
6. The Weight (The Band cover) - Travis
7. Bizarre Love Triangle / Time After Time (New Order / Cyndi Lauper cover) - The New Limb
8. We Used to Wait (Arcade Fire cover) - Ace Reporter
9. Hard To Explain (The Strokes cover) - Owen Pallett
10. Come As you Are (Nirvana cover) - Caetano Veloso
11. The Killing Moon (Echo & the Bunnymen cover) - Greg Laswell
12. Blindsided (Bon Iver cover) - Luke Leighfield & Jose Vanders
13. Someone Like You (Adele Cover) - Hobbie Stuart
14. Please Please Please (The Smiths cover) - Badly Drawn Boy
15. Once Around The Block (Badly Drawn Boy Cover) - Kings Of Convenience
16. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Whitney Houston cover) - A band that is not Fleet Foxes
17. God Only Knows (Beach Boys Cover) - Ben Kweller
18. Father and Son (Cat Stevens cover) - Johnny Cash and Fiona Apple

NOTES:
2. I'm worried that this song will soon be featured in a car commercial or something similarly ridiculous, sometime soon.
5. This cover is not great? But I love Bright Eyes? And hardly anyone covers them anymore? Did you know I worked with a guy who said everything in the form of a question? Once you start, it's sort of addicting? Try it sometime?
6. I wish there was an mp3 of the jam session from "It Might Get Loud" available. I wish I wish I wish.
9. strokes. typical. i love them. duh.
10. Caetano Veloso is THE MAN. no really. I mean it. hottie
11. You know when you were in high school and you were listening to mixed CD (here is a link just in case you forgot what those are) and "New Slang" by The Shins would come on and some girl would inevitably say "ooooohhhhh, this song! I just LOVE Garden State!" and you would kind of want to punch her in the throat because you are pretentious and you loved The Shins WAY before Garden State and you hate that this chick only knows them because of that movie and her enthusiasm is just like, so lame? Well, I am both of the girls. The punchy one and the "lame" one. Every time I hear this song, I think,"ooooohhhhh, this song! I just LOVE Donnie Darko!" And I know Echo and the Bunnymen are great and everything, but I don't know any of their other songs, and this will just be that one Donnie Darko song...that I just LOVE. That's just how it is. 
And this cover is simply awesome.
13. I've been listening to this song more than daily now. You know how I feel about accents.
14. See above.
16. This band is not Fleet Foxes. They just pretend like they are, and it is actually pretty brilliant.
17. One of my favorite songs in the world. And I love this boy.
18. Listen to the song and try not to cry. What? You didn't shed a single tear? You have a heart of stone, sir. Heart of STONE.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE caetano veloso. no surprise there. gretch, i hope you're serious about going this spring.

    ReplyDelete