Monday, January 9, 2012

"Into my own" - Robert Frost

I'm going to start sharing bits of poetry at the start of the week. For the rest of winter, it will be Robert Frost (get it? Frost? Winter? hahahaha). Hopefully the poems I pick won't be too much on the gloomy side. If you have any poetry suggestions, I would like to hear them. I'm a novice at this sort of thing, but I'll read through any book you give me. So here is the first go. I would love to here your comments as well.

Listen
INTO MY OWN

One of my wishes is that those dark trees,
So old and firm they scarcely show the breeze,
Were not, as 'twere, the merest mask of gloom,
But stretched away unto the edge of doom.

I should not be witheld but that some day
Into their vastness I should steal away,
Fearless of ever finding open land,
Or highway where the slow wheel pours the
     sand.

I do not see why I should e'er turn back,
Or those should not set forth upon my track
To overtake me, who should miss me here
And long to know if still I held them dear.

They would not find me changed from him
     they knew---
Only more sure of all I thought was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment