Hello my fellow penitents,
Last year for Lent, I gave up Facebook. It didn't quite have the affect I had hoped for. I replaced one time-waster with another, spending countless hour on Hype Machine, the Huffington Post, and making never-to-be-fulfilled wishlists on the Anthropologie and J. Crew websites. So this year, I'm going to crank it up a notch.
1. I will stop eating bad stuff. Nothing fried, no added sugar, and no foods with ingredients whose names I cannot pronounce. BUT...I will be allowed to eat whatevs I want on Sunday. I'd say that's pretty reasonable.
2. I will stop sleeping by waking up at 7:00 every weekday morning. Ew.
3. I will stop flipping off inanimate objects.
Let me explain. Most of the time, I think flipping stuff off is funny. I guess I've been desensitized after laughing through this show and going to Real Salt Lake games. But there have been a couple times where I was the recipient of a ...bird flipping? And it was not funny at all. I actually felt very embarrassed and wanted to cry. Yep. I cry when people get mad at me. It doesn't happen often. Anyway, now that I'm an adult, I need to be a little more appropriate. I commonly flip off:
- treacherous, icy sidewalks
- stoplights that refuse to turn green
- MY COMPUTER. Like, all the time
But I'm worried this habit will become so engrained into my character, that it will cross over to real life. Even though flipping the bird makes me feel careless and edgy, I need to find a suitable substitute.
Hope your Lent is a thoughtful one!