Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Patriot Games

WODdling soundtrack: Radiohead "In Rainbows"

Dad was in town on Friday. This is what we did.

We went to the Session Stage to hear "Stories from the Studio". Man, I've been trying to remember the name of the guy we listened to... I think his name was Robert Montgomery? He was cool, and had some strong opinions about music:
"Music can bring people together, and it can tear them apart. I tolerate it better when it brings people together... Rock is a desecration of music. [During the motown era] we was giving a frequency that was bringing people together." 
Interesting.

We saw a bit of Miss Martha Reeves. She was a fun lady.

Fit in a bit of sightseeing:
Everyone sees this statue from the front,
but I thought you guys would like the opportunity
to appreciate how the sculptor captured
the draping and folds in the back.
So much work for something that no one really looks at.
I like it.





I forced dad into taking tacky tourist-y photos. He was a good sport.

Korean War Memorial

We saw this poor sick bird on the edge of the pool. I hope it's ok.


Then we found a great Bolivian restaurant! I was so excited. I hadn't had Bolivian food in almost 2 years!

Mocochinchi! It's made with dried peached, sugar, and cinnamon. Soooo good.
That's a dried peach chillin' at the bottom of the glass.

Choclo con queso. 

The peach. It tastes better than it looks. Trust me.

All in all, a good day.

Saturday was a laid-back affair.
Sunday was lovely.

Then the 4th.
We got up early to go see the parade. It was really funny when the tourists in line at the metro would ask me about getting around, since I was just about as clueless as they were. Hopefully I sent them the right way. There was some time to kill, so we visited that National Museum of American History. Kind of a strange place. Sort of hodge podge. But they had some good exhibits as well. I visited "The Price of Freedom: Americans at War" and this flag.

The parade was a bit of a hodge podge as well. But loveable. Like these guys who were riding around on penny-farthing bicycles like this:

The Bolivian dancers stole the show (REPRESENT!). I have no photos from this day, but will hopefully be able to share some with you soon. We walked around a bit, went to the Natural History museum, and re-visited the folk festival. I got some great music there, including this for 5 bucks!:


They are french folk songs. I love it already. 

I met up with some people in the ward later that evening at the Lincoln Memorial to watch the fireworks. They were spectacular! I loved looking around and seeing everyones faces as they watched, really magical. 

Hope you had a festive, firework-filled fourth!

No comments:

Post a Comment