Sunday, September 22, 2013

Something for Sunday: "...burst into a Song"

After an unintentional summer hiatus, I joined again with the Sacred Harp singing group a few weeks ago. They meet at the Provo Episcopal church once a month to see, and I had forgotten how much I missed it. Here's a rendition of one my favorite songs. Singing to this feels like the purest form of praise:



If you're unfamiliar with Sacred Harp music, you sing through the song the first time with solfegge. That's why it may seem like they're singing nonsense :) Here are the lyrics.


Now shall my inward joys arise,
And burst into a Song;
Almighty Love inspires my Heart,
And Pleasure tunes my Tongue.

God on his thirsty Sion-Hill
Some Mercy-Drops has thrown,
And solemn Oaths have bound his Love
To show'r Salvation down.

Why do we then indulge our Fears,
Suspicions and Complaints?
Is he a God, and shall his Grace
Grow weary of his saints?

Can a kind Woman e'er forget
The Infant of her Womb,
And 'mongst a thousand tender Thoughts
Her Suckling have no Room?

Yet, saith the Lord, should Nature change,
And Mothers Monsters prove,
Sion still dwells upon the Heart
Of everlasting Love.

Deep on the Palms of both my Hands
I have engrav'd her Name;
My Hands shal raise her ruin'd Walls,
And build her broken Frame.


We usually just sing the first three verses, so I had no idea that the rest of the song referenced once of my favorite scriptures:
Isaiah 49:13-16 
13. Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.
14. But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.
15. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
16. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
Wishing you a happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment