Sunday, September 1, 2013

Something for Sunday: Un-plug

I may be relatively new to this smart phone world, but I already feel myself turning into its slave. Nobody told me these phones need to be charged EVERYDAY and sometimes MULTIPLE times a day. And it's SO fragile. And temperamental. It's practically like having a baby. I've seen it infiltrate all parts of my life (mostly for the better), but sometimes in not-so-positive ways. One of my friends posted this on her wall last week, and it struck a chord:


Too real. 

It reminds me of Sister Wixom's talk in General Conference:

"“Dad … started reading phone messages while the toddler struggled to get his attention by throwing bits of pizza crust. Then the dad re-engaged, facing his child and playing with him. Soon, though, he substituted watching a video on his phone with the toddler until his wife returned.
“… [Dr.] Halfon observed a dimming of the child’s internal light, a lessening of the connection between parent and child.”
...Precious moments of opportunity to interact and converse with our children dissolve when we are occupied with distractions. Why not choose a time each day to disconnect from technology and reconnect with each other? Simply turn everything off. When you do this, your home may seem quiet at first; you may even feel at a loss as to what to do or say. Then, as you give full attention to your children, a conversation will begin, and you can enjoy listening to each other."

I found this article about observant jewish people trying to negotiate between technology and their spiritual life. Click here to give it a read.

"There's real value in embracing technology. It's just about knowing when to turn it off."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment