Friday, March 6, 2015

March Mix: "All my old friends wait"

Boy oh boy. Things have been curiouser and curiouser around here. I guess that part of it is sticking around the city you grew up in. Watching so old friends and family change (or not change at all). Returning as a substitute teacher at your old middle school (I don't recommend it). Catching a birds eye view of your life, and comparing to what your parents were doing when they were your age (I promise they were not watching and re-watching "Call Your Girlfriend" so they could learn the choreography). Throw a birthday in the mix, and you have the perfect storm.

My quarter-life crisis has dragged on a couple extra years. But good news! I think I'm finally coming out the other side. Couldn't get things together in time for a February mix, so I hope this one will do the trick. It's for old friends, new friends, and most importantly, your best friend... YOURSELF!

Give the whole thing a listen (minus the LANKS track) on Spotify...



or check out individual songs below:



1. My Baby Don't Understand Me - Natalie Prass



2. Gunshot - Lykke Li



3. Take It As It Comes - J. Roddy Walston & The Business



4. Violent Shiver - Benjamin Booker



5. Confidence - Conner Youngblood




6. Adult Diversion - Alvvays



7. Better Man - Leon Bridges



8. I Just Want To - Majestico



9. Lazaretto - Jack White




10. Continental Shelf - Viet Cong


11. Graves - Ravenna Woods



12. Suburban War - Arcade Fire



13. My Kind of Woman - Mac DeMarco



14. All Back - Chris Brown



15. That's Alright (Live) - Laura Mvula with Metropole Orkest



16. Hold Me Closer - LANKS



17. This Is My Hand - My Brightest Diamond



18. Fire - Jake Bugg



19. Stardust - Nat King Cole




NOTES:

1. Natalie Prass sings oh so true

7. Catch him in SLC

9. As always, my favorite, most dramatic weirdo

10. These kids are causing all sorts of trouble. Sort of. Here's an article with their comments on their band name before the infamous show cancellation. But isn't this supposed to be the sort of thing punk rock is about anyway? IDK. Is it bad that I still want to go to their show

12. "...what I got from [church] was a sense of belonging to something bigger. What I really miss is being forced to be in a community with people that aren't the same as you. Then, you really have to work through the ways you're different. I think that's important and it's missing in youth culture. I guess some of the songs are a reaction against the tyranny of youth culture, where you only hang around with people who dress like you, think like you and listen to the same music as you. Even though we are seen as the quintessential indie band, I feel very far from that culture a lot of the time."
Winn Butler speaking some truth in this interview

13. Tell me more about this Mac DeMarco...where have I been on this?

14. Thanks to Sarah for this track. Who knew I lived with the biggest Chris Brown fan? She's showing me his best work.

17. You can just listen to this song in place of going to temple preparation class, if you want.

18. Cute little Jake Bugg with this cute little song. I love him like a mom.

12. Give me a Norah Ephron movie any day. This scene is tender. I'm a sentimental sap at heart.


1 comment: