Monday, April 11, 2011

Neither here, nor there: Arcade Fire

As you may have noticed that I am not at the Arcade Fire concert.
I'm actually not that torn up about it as I am sure that I will see them sometime in the future.

Here are some reasons why they are a clever band:
Reason 1. 

Note 1: of the 2 million plus view of this video, probably a million of them are from me. 

Reason 2. They performed with LCD Sound System at their final show a week ago:
They mostly just screamed. It was funny and they were good at it.

Note 2: James Murphy does not look as cool as his voice sounds, 
but I think that is a good thing.

Reason 3. They are so clever, everybody steals from them.
 
EXHIBIT A:

Listen to this track: Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika). Listen to the chord progression of 5ths kind of like duh..duhduh...duh..duhduh. Man, I wish I could describe this to you in a more coherent manner. I knew I should have got more schooling in the musical arts. Now pay attention to the bpm (beats per minute) and also the key. Listen to the drum beat.

Listen to this track: Surfer Blood - Harmonix. Eh? EH!!?! It is only slightly slower

Ok, I know they are not like, exact copies, but they are QUITE similar.

EXHIBIT B:

Listen to this track: Arcade Fire - Rococo.

Now this one: The Dears - Blood.

Same key, almost the same tempo, the guitar is so similar.

So I know you are all asking...



I don't know, just thought it was kind of cool. Everyone should already know most songs are just smart re-workings of age-old chord progression, many of which can be layered and layered on top of one another. I think that's part of what makes musical memorable and likable. Whatevs.

Bottom line: Arcade Fire is pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment