Saturday, April 30, 2011

Poetry Month: April

April was National Poetry month. Who knew? So here are some poetry related things to help send off the season.

David Brooks writes about metaphors.

Sparks sings about them.



The New York Times sometimes posts poetrywritingstory things. These poems are short enough to fit in a twitter post:



Twitter Poem
The poem creates a space.
It hides in a tent in a forest.
Making its own bed it falls asleep in the dark,
wakes up under a lamp or the sun.
Billy Collins, whose new book of poems is “Horoscopes for the Dead.”

earth donates
break in a wave train
fallout active plume cloud spills
red reactors give
cross characters translated
in kanji could say much more
Claudia Rankine, whose latest book of poems is “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely.”

Teeny tiny poem
Teeny tiny poem/just enuf 2hold/1 xllent big word/Impluvium/open-eyed courtyrd/collectng rain/as all poems do/ skylife, open/birds do:/ tweet
Elizabeth Alexander, whose latest book of poems is “Crave Radiance,” and who wrote and delivered a poem for the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

The times also did 6 word love poems. I think that the concept comes from this. They also have a book. My favorite?

"Waiting for us to be brave."


Pretty much sums up all of my dating experience at BYU. bahaha.

When I was on my mission, meeting odd people was a daily occurrence. I miss that. sometimes it feels like Provo lacks those eccentricities. I remember running into this man, we tried to talk to him, but, I don't know, he was full of this nervous energy that screamed "topo". Anyway, I think he new that he made us nervous so he bought us some candy or something and than told us to go to his website; "fiebre poesia". Now, looking back, I think he was really trying to be kind. Finally, over two years later. I checked that website out.
Here it is.

Also, I just re-listened to this song that came out ELEVEN years ago. Wow. Still know all the words :)



Remember when Nelly Furtado was kind of folksy? Wha'happend?

No comments:

Post a Comment