Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May Mix: "What are you sinking about?"

I am so excited for you to listen to this mix. It's a good one! I know I say that every time, but I REALLY REALLY mean it this time. I'm leaving in a week, and I think this mix is a good send-off. It pretty much encapsulates every emotion I have.

Whoever you are, wherever you are, I probably miss you.

Love,
Gretchen

1. All Yr Songs - Diamond Rings
2. Hello (Single Edit) - Martin Solveig & Dragonette
3. Contact High - Architecture in Helsinki
4. The Human Condition - Jhameel
5. Impossible Soul [BODY TIME edit] - Sufjan Stevens
6. Till the World Ends (AC Dubstep) - Britney Spears
7. Houdini - Foster The People
8. 2 Hearts - Digitalism
9. Second Chance - Peter Bjorn and John
10. Hang Me Up To Dry - Cold War Kids
11. Rome - Phoenix
12. Flume (Bon Iver Cover) - Peter Gabriel
13. Everywhere I Go - Lissie
14. Already Yours - Bahamas
15. Lost In My Mind - The Head and the Heart
16. Little Talks - Of Monsters And Men
17. Orono Park (Edit) - The Wilderness of Manitoba
18. Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes Helplessness Blues

LINER NOTES:

1. "Cause in the summer weather, we'll put sunscreen on together, I would not want your skin to burn" True love is skin cancer prevention.
2: You may not want to listen to this song cause it will be stuck in your head ALL DAY. Quote from my brother watching the video:
Jeremy: So this is essentially The Royal Tannenbaums?
Me: Essentially, yes.
Jeremy: hm.
3: Who else thinks they should mash this up with Prince's "Kiss"? Just me? Oh. Ok.
4: Jhameel does some great covers such as "Heartbeats" (duh. you already know I'm obsessed with this song) and "Halo". Sometimes his voice sounds like My Chemical Romance, sometimes like Jamiroquai, sometimes like Jonsi, sometimes like Vampire Weekend. So pretty great. Right? You can download his whole album for FREE, though I encourage a donation. He calls his album an "expression of both my overwhelming love and bitter hatred for the human condition". Love him.
5 and 6: Look for these on Hype Machine. I guess none of my mixes are complete without a dubstep shout-out. 
10: When I think Cold War Kids, I think freshman year at BYU. Music was my best friend that year... oh boy.
11: Thomas Mars is the perfect combination of Ben Kweller and Jim Sturgess. In terms of everything.
12: This makes me sad. Why?
14: Future camp-fire-hit-heart-break-song
17: You clicked on the link and watched the video right? You didn't?! Well, go back and click it right now. This song is magical. Now imagine that whatever cathedral hallway they are in is actually a hallway in HOGWARTS and Harry, Ron, and Hermione could come around the corner at any minute and start doing a jig. Even more magical. Now aren't you glad you watched that video?
18. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment