Saturday, May 21, 2011

Kids with Guns pt. 2

Lazy Saturday (no WODdling soundtrack today)


During the post-finals lazy days, I found a movie at the library:


This movie got mixed reviews.
But for what it's worth, I think it's worth something.

You know who else has mixed reviews? The screenwriter: Lars Von Trier
He's been in the news lately because of his confused musings on Nazism, art, and his mistaken Jewish identity. You can read a bit about it here. You can watch his comments, (and watch Kirsten Dunst feel totally awkward) here. He was banned from the Cannes film festival, and kind of sort of apologized.
I don't know.

They showed The 5 Obstructions at BYU's International Cinema last year, and it essentially solidified my opinion that Trier is a pretty twisted individual and that he will do whatever necessary to get under peoples skin. We watched Dogville over Thanksgiving a few years ago. Yeah, why did we rent that movie? It is a great/horrible film that leaves a pit in your stomach.

SO

I was interested in how Dear Wendy would turn out. It has Jamie Bell, who I've had a crush on since Billy Elliot came out like, 10 years ago. He's great. The soundtrack is KILLER with most of the songs by The Zombies. The movie is kind of disconcerting, but not overly so like Dogville. I was most interested in it because it was essentially a cinematic presentation of Latour's thesis in "Pandora's Hope" (the one I talked about last time). Anyway, the movie is a commentary on America's general fascination with guns. I've always been sort of ambivalent about guns in general, but it has become increasingly clear to me that these are issues that we need to think about.



Looks like the world's not over yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment