Thursday, May 19, 2011

Humor me

WODdling soundtrack this morning: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (self-titled album), Hot Chip "Made in the Dark"

Did anyone else listen to Terry Gross on Fresh Air today?
She interviewed Trey Parker and Matt Stone about "The Book of Mormon Musical". You can listen to the interview here.

I have to admit, it sounds pretty funny! The interview gave me a chance to finally hear samples of some of the songs (at least the PG rated ones). The ones I heard seemed like something that could come straight out of "Saturday's Warrior". Of course, they do make jokes at the church's expense, but it seems like it's done in a most good-natured way. From what I've heard of it's crude humor, the show probably wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'm not really up in arms about it. Any informed media consumer should know that work from these guys is going to be have a lot of profanity, that it will probably be blasphemous, and will be offensive to many. But Matt and Trey are funny, savvy, and smart. They are also fair. I highly suggest the interview to anyone who is wondering about it.

Here is the official church's stance on the musical:
"The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ."
See? Classy as always.

My cousin Duncan (whose family I'm living with and whose room I'm going to take over after he's gone...haha), leaves on his mission in less than two weeks! He will be serving in Anaheim, California. I think that this musical may actually prove to be helpful to him. I'm sure people will be interested in his experience, and maybe have questions about what they've heard about the church. Just another way to turn around something that others perceive of as negative into a positive!

On another musical note, my grandpa showed this video to me a few weeks ago, and I think it's pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment