Thursday, June 2, 2011

Small Spaces

WODdling soundtrack: Arcade Fire - "The Suburbs"

I love the Hartt's home. It has the same character as my family's home in Salt Lake. I'm pretty spoiled, getting to live in these old houses. But I think that this would actually be my ideal: A small, comfortable home with character.



Ok. I like pretty much everything except for the homeschooling part. I think that would make me stir-crazy. But isn't their home charming?

Once you get started looking at homes like this, it is hard to stop. Ikea has always done a good job of designing pieces for small spaces. This blog has videos of several "homes" contained in Ikea stores.

Just take a look at Zach Motl's apartment. Only 178 square feet!


Click here for the New York Times article.

Do you remember the Jarvis family from "This American Life"? I chatted about it with my cousin Emilie this weekend. You can listen to it here. I think they had a good idea about living simply, though they faltered a bit on the execution.

Your home says a lot about you. The space you live in shapes who you are. Small shared spaces for us to be courteous, considerate, and make connections to one another.
Small rooms or dwellings discipline the mind, large ones weaken it.                                                       - Leonardo Da Vinci

1 comment:

  1. ok, everything about their decor is eclectic perfection. i want all that lovely mismatched furniture!

    ReplyDelete