Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas for me.

I'm so glad it's Christmastime. And I'm so glad that finals are over, and I can finally enjoy it!

     My Sundays have been extra special this month with Christmas on the horizon. It brings all the lessons and talks I hear into greater focus. I know plenty of people who celebrate the holidays without reference to Christ, and they have a wonderful time; I don't feel like it's my place to say they are doing it wrong or that they don't know what the "true" meaning of Christmas is. Christmas means a lot of different things to different people: Exhibit 1, Exhibit 2, Exhibit 3. If you really want to get to the bottom of it, the true meaning if Christmas is stickin' it to the pagans... but that's a story for another day.

     So instead of talking about the "true" meaning of Christmas, I want to talk about what Christmas means to me. It's a time to spend with family and friends. A time to stop thinking about what I want, and   to remember to think about what others need. It's a time when we can separate ourselves from the rest of the world and just spend time together. Or we can go out, and look for service to be done, find ways to lift one each-others  burdens. We remember the birth of Christ. At Christmastime, we try and show our love for him, by serving others.This is the "truest" part for me. I couldn't be more grateful. 

Last Sunday, our ward had our Christmas program. A group sang this song; it was beautiful.


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, 
that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. 
For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; 
but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17

That's why I love Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment